10 ways to live a longer, healthier life
It’s often assumed that our genes determine how long we’ll live, but research shows that lifestyle factors actually have the biggest impact on longevity. Adopting healthy habits not only increases our lifespan, it can also increase our healthspan — allowing us to enjoy those extra years with good health and continue to be independent and active well into our senior years.
No matter your current age, it’s never too late (or too early) to adopt habits that help prevent disease and add more years to your life! Following are some easy and effective ways to increase your health and your lifespan:
- Don’t smoke, maintain a healthy weight, and drink only in moderation. These 3 habits alone could add 7 years to your life.
- Get plenty of vitamin B12. This important vitamin helps protect part of the brain responsible for memory.
- Eat foods that contain vitamin E. This vitamin is also an antioxidant that helps protect against cardiovascular disease. Foods are the best way to get vitamin E and other antioxidants, and nuts may be the best source.
- Limit your protein intake, especially from animal sources. A study found that older adults who ate a diet high in animal protein were four times more likely to die of cancer than those who ate fewer animal products.
- Eat more olives. Olives are a great source of healthy unsaturated fat and antioxidants that help protect the heart and the brain.
- Have more sex. Really! While cause and effect have yet to be proven, preliminary research shows that women who are more sexually active have longer telomeres, which are linked to health and longevity.
- Try fasting. Allowing your digestive system to rest helps promotes healing, so that your body can fight disease and inflammation. And fasting is easier than ever with products such as ProLon, which allows you to experience the benefits of a fasting diet while still eating delicious, healthy foods.
- Discover what works for your body. Humans have hundreds of genetic variants, which means that everyone reacts uniquely to various foods and has different nutritional needs. Whether your goal is to reach and maintain a healthy weight, prevent disease as you age, or improve your athletic performance, discovering the particulars of your genotype will help you identify the best diet, exercises, and habits to help you get there.
Vivaliti DNA analyzes more than 80 different genetic markers to determine your ideal diet type, allowing you to finally put an end to trial-and-error diet plans and yo-yo dieting. Request a no-cost consultation with a Vivaliti health coach today to learn how your individual genetic report can help you meet your health and wellness goals!